Kapha is the principle of nourishment.
Its qualities are cold, heavy, solid, stable, smooth, slow and steady.
If it were food, it would be an avocado.
Kapha by Nature
According to Ayurveda, we are all made up of nature's five elements: Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Ether (or Space).
These elements combine to create “doshas” or dynamic forces known as Vata, Pitta and Kapha. They are similar to body types as we understand in the West but so much more.
- Vata is the combination of Ether (or Space) and Air
- Pitta is the combination of Fire and Water
- Kapha is the combination of Earth and Water
While we each have all of the doshas within us, we tend to have one or two that dominate our constitution creating our unique mind-body type. For example; Kapha; Kapha-Vata or Kapha-Pitta.
In Ayurveda, Kapha is the principle of nourishment. Its qualities are cold, heavy, solid, stable, smooth, slow and steady. If it were food, it would be an avocado. Think about it, they have many of the same qualities.
People with a predominance of Kapha tend to have a larger frame, think and move more leisurely, and are known for their steadiness. As a general rule, they are calm, self-contained, and slow to anger.
Kapha types are usually affectionate, tolerant and forgiving. They may have difficultly adapting to change. They tend to mull over things before making a decision, love routine but can easily slip into unhealthy habits that they find hard to eliminate.
In balance, Kapha types are easy-going, patient, thoughtful, stable, content, loving, supportive, consistent and loyal.
Out of balance, Kapha types tend towards dullness, inertia, being needy, attached, congested, overweight or lazy.
Tips to balance your Kapha
Here are some tips to help balance your Kapha:
- Favour spicy, bitter and astringent tastes
- Eat small portions of light, dry, warm foods
- Limit dairy products, dried fruits, nuts and salt
- Stay warm and avoiding cold, damp conditions
- Practice stimulating exercise or movement such as cardio, yoga flow
- Meditate to refresh your mind and awaken new possibilities
- Try our Kapha Balancing Tea
For a full assessment and personalised well-being plan, we recommend booking a consultation with one of our Ayurveda experts.BOOK A CONSULTATION
View our collection of organic, handcrafted, herbal tea blends and Ayurveda lifestyle products to help balance your dosha and restore harmony to your body, mind and life.
Meet with our Ayurveda Doctor face-to-face or online for a comprehensive assessment using traditional techniques such as pulse diagnosis, tongue diagnosis, eye diagnosis, face, lips and nails examination to confirm your dosha (mind-body type), any current imbalances and develop a personalised wellbeing plan.
Based on the findings you will be given an individualised plan to follow which may include a number of approaches to restore balance and harmony to your body, mind and life such as:
- Nutritional suggestions
- Daily routines and lifestyle practices in accordance with the season
- Yoga, meditation and breathing practices
- Therapeutic treatments
- Herbs and herbal oils
- Cleansing techniques and detoxification