For thousands of years, frankincense has been highly valued as a prized and precious incense and essential oil.
It is traditionally used in Ayurveda for its anti-inflammatory properties and to treat skin conditions, arthritis, promote circulation, and prevent the degeneration of cartilage in the joints.
Frankincense Essential Oil has a woody, sweet, and slightly citrusy aroma. It is best infused with an essential oil burner or diluted into a base oil or blend that can be massaged on the face and body.
Why you'll love it:
- Frankincense oil is a natural astringent. This means that it's good for skin care as it can help heal skin imperfections and conditions like acne and wounds. Frankincense has been known for rejuvenating damaged skin as a healing oil.
- It contains boswellic acid and in moderate doses has anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer properties, and therefore may be helpful in the treatment of rheumatism, colitis, asthma, and cancer.
- It's highly antiseptic and antiviral as well as supportive to the immune system.
- It has long been used to cleanse or purify spaces, and can also be used as an aid to meditation.
- Frankincense pacifies Vata dosha, calming and replenishing the mind and nervous system, and easing anxiety and restlessness.
- Its revitalising and uplifting qualities help to clear excess Kapha, countering exhaustion, mental fatigue, and depression.
- It has a sattvic, or purifying effect on the mind and nervous system, and helps to rid impurities from the nadis (subtle nerve channels).