For thousands of years, frankincense has been highly valued as a prized and precious incense and essential oil.
It is traditionally used in Ayurveda for its anti-inflammatory properties and to treat arthritis, promote circulation, and prevent the degeneration of cartilage in the joints.
Frankincense Essential Oil has a woody, sweet, and slightly citrusy aroma. It is best infused with an essential oil burner or diluted into a base oil or blend that can be massaged on the body.
Why you'll love it:
- It contains boswellic acid and in moderate doses has anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer properties, and therefore may be helpful in the treatment of rheumatism, colitis, asthma, and cancer.
- It's highly antiseptic and antiviral as well as supportive to the immune system.
- It has long been used to cleanse or purify spaces, and can also be used as an aid to meditation.
- Frankincense pacifies vata dosha, calming and replenishing the mind and nervous system, and easing anxiety and restlessness.
- Its revitalising and uplifting qualities help to clear excess kapha, countering exhaustion, mental fatigue, and depression.
- It has a sattvic, or purifying effect on the mind and nervous system, and helps to rid impurities from the nadis (subtle nerve channels).